Dylan Cozens could make his NHL debut later this week. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres’ roster almost set; Dylan Cozens, Jack Quinn to remain in Buffalo

BUFFALO – The 27 players who participated in Tuesday’s practice will start the season on the Sabres’ roster or taxi squad, coach Ralph Krueger said.

That means 19-year-old forward prospects Dylan Cozens and Jack Quinn, Buffalo’s last two first-round picks, will remain in the NHL for now.

Of course, the Sabres must sort some things out before Thursday’s opener against the Washington Capitals at KeyBank Center.

Krueger said center Curtis Lazar (lower-body injury) and ... Read the full article

Jeff Skinner (pictured) was recently moved beside center Curtis Lazar. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Ralph Krueger confident Jeff Skinner will bounce back for Sabres

Two days after moving Jeff Skinner down the lineup, Sabres coach Ralph Krueger said he’s confident he and his staff can get the veteran winger in what he called “a good place.”

Skinner, 28, began training camp skating at left wing on the second line beside center Eric Staal and Sam Reinhart. But Krueger recently moved him down the lineup with center Curtis Lazar and newcomer Riley Sheahan.

Skinner struggled last year in ... Read the full article

Jeff Skinner (pictured) practiced with Curtis Lazar and Riley Sheahan on Friday. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres switch up lines, move Tage Thompson up, Jeff Skinner down

After a 10-month layoff, the Buffalo Sabres play 10 games in an 18-day stretch, starting with Thursday’s season opener against the Washington Capitals.

That includes three back-to-back sets. The early stretch will be rigorous and likely test the Sabres’ depth. They’re going to have to roll four lines.

“Right now, we need to be a good four-line team early in the season,” Krueger said on a Zoom call Friday.

So Krueger, who pretty much kept ... Read the full article

Riley Sheahan has quickly found a home in Buffalo. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres sign Riley Sheahan to one-year, $700,000 contract

When the Sabres promoted forward Riley Sheahan earlier this week after Zemgus Girgensons suffered a season-ending hamstring injury, it appeared the veteran would be sticking around Buffalo.

Sure enough, on Friday, the Sabres signed Sheahan, who came to training camp on a professional tryout, to a one-year contract worth $700,000.

Sabres coach Ralph Krueger said “the specialist that he is” helped Sheahan earn a deal.

“(He’s) strong on faceoffs, (an) excellent penalty killer, ... Read the full article

Eric Staal’s accomplishments stand out among the Sabres. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Jeff Skinner, Eric Staal excited to team up as duo with Sabres

During the six years Jeff Skinner and Eric Staal spent together as teammates with the Carolina Hurricanes, they usually skated on separate lines.

Back then, the Hurricanes were in the midst of a marathon 14-year playoff drought. As one of the NHL’s bottom-feeders, they possessed little depth up front. So the coaches would often play their top scorers on different lines.

“We were pretty thin,” said Staal, who joined Skinner and the Buffalo Sabres in ... Read the full article

Arttu Ruotsalainen got off to a torrid start in Finland this season. ©2020, Micheline Veluvolu, Rochester Americans

Sabres release training camp roster, schedule; 37 players to participate

On Friday, the Buffalo Sabres will touch the KeyBank Center ice for the first time in 296 days and begin preparing for the most unusual of seasons.

The NHL will be attempting to play during the COVID-19 pandemic, and it will likely experience problems – positive tests, postponements or even cancellations – as the schedule unfolds.

But those potential roadblocks can be examined another day. The Sabres’ 10-month break is nearly over. Training camp officially ... Read the full article

Taylor Hall could play beside Jack Eichel next season. ©2020, Dan Hickling, Hickling Images

Sabres’ Taylor Hall understands Jack Eichel’s frustrations

Few players understand what Buffalo Sabres captain Jack Eichel has endured over his first five NHL seasons better than Taylor Hall.

Hall needed 529 games, eight seasons and two organizations before making his first playoff appearance.

Eichel, having played 354 games without sniffing the postseason, has experienced a similarly frustrating start to his career.

The American, 23, was supposed to lead the Sabres’ resurgence after they drafted him second overall in 2015. Hall, 28, ... Read the full article

Taylor Hall won the Hart Trophy in 2017-18 with New Jersey. ©2020, Micheline Veluvolu

Finding his fit: Why Taylor Hall picked Sabres over other suitors

When free agency opened Friday, rookie general manager Kevyn Adams called Darren Ferris, Taylor Hall’s agent, and told him the Buffalo Sabres would be interested in talking to his client.

Few expected Hall, the most coveted winger available, would chose a team mired in a nine-year playoff drought. The 2017-18 Hart Trophy winner recently expressed how winning had become his top priority.

Still, Hall wanted to talk to the Sabres. Their coach, Ralph Krueger, knows ... Read the full article

Taylor Hall (left) battles Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen last season. ©2020, Micheline Veluvolu

Taylor Hall signs one-year, $8 million contract with Sabres

For nearly three days, the Buffalo Sabres remained quiet in free agency, adding only depth players.

Reports materialized last week the Sabres would pursue slick winger Taylor Hall, one of the most coveted players on the market. Still, few expected a team mired in an embarrassing nine-year playoff drought could lure the former Hart Trophy winner.

It appeared if general manager Kevyn Adams wanted to dramatically improve the Sabres, he would have to do so ... Read the full article

Kevyn Adams acquired an old friend in Eric Staal. ©2020, Micheline Veluvolu, Rochester Americans

Sabres notes: Eric Staal’s acquisition helps Kevyn Adams establish credibility

Barely an hour after Kevyn Adams acquired center Eric Staal last week, he hadn’t given much thought to having completed his first trade as Buffalo Sabres general manager.

“I’ve been so focused on this process and the work that goes into it,” Adams said Sept. 16 after dishing forward Marcus Johansson to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Staal.

Adams, 45, experienced a whirlwind summer as he began tackling the daunting task of trying to ... Read the full article