Darcy Regier speaks this afternoon. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Darcy Regier: Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek could still be with Sabres come training camp

BUFFALO – With each passing day, general manager Darcy Regier acknowledged, it becomes more likely starting goalie Ryan Miller and slick winger Thomas Vanek will be on the Sabres when training camp convenes in September.

Regier has said both stars, whose contracts expire after next season, could be dealt from the rebuilding Sabres. He said he’s had some “discussions regarding both those players” with other teams.

“The nature of this business, as you move through ... Read the full article

Drew Bagnall has spent almost all of his career in the AHL. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres stay quiet as free agency opens, only ink AHL defenseman Drew Bagnall for depth

BUFFALO – It didn’t take Sabres fans long to experience some of that suffering general manager Darcy Regier warned could lie ahead.

As free agency opened Friday afternoon and teams began piling up assets, the rebuilding Sabres remained quiet most of the day.

Finally, at about 9:30 p.m., TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported the Sabres had signed AHL defenseman Drew Bagnall to a two-year, two-way contract.

That depth move probably won’t make the team’s anxious fan ... Read the full article

Darcy Regier talks Sunday at the NHL Entry Draft. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Darcy Regier unsure what Sabres will do with Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek

BUFFALO – For now at least, starting goalie Ryan Miller and slick winger Thomas Vanek, two veteran stars entering the final seasons of their contracts, are still members of the Sabres.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said Tuesday he has spoken to the players’ agents and both sides plan to continue chatting.

“As I’ve stated before, it’s incumbent upon me to have a sense of what the marketplace is or re-sign them versus allowing them ... Read the full article

Ryan Miller’s situation remains in the air. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Developing marketplace will influence if Sabres keep Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek

BUFFALO – For now at least, starting goalie Ryan Miller and slick winger Thomas Vanek, two veteran stars entering the final seasons of their contracts, are still members of the Sabres.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said this morning he has spoken to the players’ agents and both sides plan to continue chatting.

“As I’ve stated before, it’s incumbent upon me to have a sense of what the marketplace is or re-sign them versus allowing ... Read the full article

Nikita Zadorov couldn’t stop smiling after the Sabres selected him Sunday. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres grab defensemen early to start busy draft day, only pull off minor trade

NEWARK, N.J. – It was “pretty close,” general manager Darcy Regier said. The rebuilding Buffalo Sabres could’ve moved up to the No. 5 slot during the NHL Entry Draft, perhaps picked a familiar name the team’s fans had been drooling over.

Ultimately, however, the Sabres decided trading with Carolina wasn’t worth the steep cost. Instead, they kept the eighth overall pick, grabbing big defensemen Rasmus Ristolainen to start their busy day.

“We just thought we’d ... Read the full article

Darcy Regier should be busy today. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

With 10 picks and stars to deal, draft day could dramatically change rebuilding Sabres

NEWARK, N.J. – By tonight, following what promises to be a busy, even chaotic day at the NHL Entry Draft inside the Prudential Center, the Buffalo Sabres could be radically reshaped for the future.

With four of the first 52 picks in a deep draft, including the eighth and 16th selections, the Sabres should nab some elite prospects. But general manager Darcy Regier’s rebuild goes beyond simply adding draft picks.

Starting goalie Ryan Miller ... Read the full article

Darcy Regier is trying to be realistic about the Sabres landing an early draft pick. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Regier doubtful Sabres will land top pick; Miller and Vanek’s future still in air

BUFFALO – The Sabres hold four of the first 52 picks in this month’s deep NHL Entry Draft, including the eighth and 16th selections. They also have starting goalie Ryan Miller and ace scorer Thomas Vanek, two stars with a year left on their contracts, dangling.

Still, despite a slew of assets, Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said Thursday securing one of the top three selections – future stars Jonathan Drouin, Seth Jones and ... Read the full article

Darcy Regier has assets to trade. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Regier says securing early pick ‘extremely impossible,’ open to Miller and Vanek returning to Sabres

BUFFALO – The Sabres hold four of the first 52 picks in this month’s deep NHL Entry Draft, including the eighth and 16th selections. They also have starting goalie Ryan Miller and ace scorer Thomas Vanek, two stars with a year left on their contracts, dangling.

Still, despite a slew of assets, Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said today securing one of the top three selections – future stars Jonathan Drouin, Seth Jones and ... Read the full article

Terry Pegula rarely speaks about his team. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres owner Pegula defends Regier, wants Miller and Vanek back

BUFFALO – Terry Pegula has finally spoken again.

In a rare “interview,” the Sabres owner fielded questions on his team’s radio program, “Sabres Hockey Hotline,” this morning, chatting 25 minutes by phone with hosts and team employees Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters.

Most notably, Pegula defended general manager Darcy Regier, whose teams have missed the playoffs the last two seasons, asking, “What’s he done wrong?” Pegula said he wants Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek, ... Read the full article

James Patrick had coached with the Sabres since 2006-07. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres fire assistant coaches Patrick and Adams as Rolston begins assembling staff

BUFFALO – The Sabres have fired assistant coaches James Patrick and Kevyn Adams, according to multiple reports.

It was believed new Sabres coach Ron Rolston, whose interim tag was removed Tuesday, would make some changes to his staff.

The reports state assistant Teppo Numminen will stay on. The status of goalie coach Jim Corsi is unclear.

Other than one year playing in Europe, Patrick has been a Sabres player or coach since 1998-99. The ... Read the full article