BUFFALO – In what are almost certainly paper transactions, the Sabres sent winger Victor Olofsson and defenseman Henri Jokiharju to the Rochester Americans this afternoon.
The Sabres also recalled forwards Jean-Sebastien Dea and Curtis Lazar and defenseman Lawrence Pilut.
In addition, the Sabres placed defensemen Zach Bogosian, Matt Hunwick and Brandon Montour and goalie prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen on injured reserve.... Read the full article
BUFFALO – During his 11-game run in Rochester late last season, Sabres prospect Tage Thompson often looked dominant, utilizing his big body and talents to score eight goals.
Thompson, 21, probably should’ve spent most of the campaign with the Americans. But the Sabres, perhaps to show they had something from the Ryan O’Reilly trade, kept the 6-foot-6 winger in the NHL.
So instead of thriving in the AHL, Thompson stayed in Buffalo until late March, ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – The Sabres waived four players today and sent three others – most notably winger Tage Thompson – to the AHL, moves that give them 21 healthy players.
The players waived – forwards Remi Elie, Curtis Lazar and Scott Wilson and defenseman Casey Nelson – all have at least 93 games of NHL experience.
In addition to Thompson, they assigned center Rasmus Asplund and defenseman Lawrence Pilut to the Rochester Americans. Pilut is still ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – Sabres defenseman John Gilmour has never experienced anything like this. In his first three NHL training camps, he never pushed for a roster spot.
“It’s new for me,” Gilmour said following this morning’s practice, the final session of camp.
So Gilmour, of course, is a little nervous. He has to wait another day or two – 23-man NHL rosters must be finalized by 5 p.m. Tuesday – to find out if he cracked ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – An upper-body injury will sideline Sabres defenseman Jake McCabe the rest of the preseason, the team announced this morning.
“It was in practice yesterday, just light upper body,” Sabres coach Ralph Krueger said inside KeyBank Center. “We’re expecting him to be good to go for the first league game.”
McCabe, 25, has battled shoulder problems in the past.
In addition to McCabe, four other Sabres defensemen – Zach Bogosian (hip), Matt Hunwick (neck), ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – The good news for the Sabres is defenseman Brandon Montour’s hand injury probably won’t sideline him too long.
While Montour will miss the rest of the preseason, Sabres coach Ralph Krueger said he should be ready “pretty soon” after the season opener Oct. 3.
The Sabres, who began training camp down three defensemen, could ill afford to lose another one, especially a point-producer capable of eating up minutes.
Then Montour, 25, left Tuesday’s ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – A hand injury will sideline Sabres defenseman Brandon Montour the rest of the preseason, the team announced this morning.
Montour, 25, was injured in the third period of Tuesday’s 4-1 preseason road loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
The Sabres expect Montour, an acquisition from the Anaheim Ducks last season, to be a one of their top defensemen this year.... Read the full article
A neck injury will sideline Buffalo Sabres defenseman Matt Hunwick this season, general manager Jason Botterill announced this afternoon.
“After further medical evaluation this offseason, we unfortunately do not expect that Matt will be physically able to play this upcoming season due to a neck condition,” Botterill said in a statement.
Hunwick, 34, endured a rough 2018-19 campaign, his first with the Sabres. He hurt his neck working out last offseason, an injury that sidelined ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – General manager Jason Botterill said he wasn’t surprised or disappointed defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen indicated in a Finnish interview last week he has asked the Sabres to be traded.
“There’s always stories coming out when players go back and … there’s stories from other organizations coming out of Finland and stuff, too,” Botterill said during Saturday’s Sabres Fan Fest inside KeyBank Center, an event that celebrated the team’s 50th anniversary season. “So those are ... Read the full article
Jason Botterill sensed he would be asked a question about 40-goal scorer Jeff Skinner’s new long-term contract, so the Buffalo Sabres general manager decided to answer it himself.
“Probably one of the next questions is going to be about giving an eight-year contract to a 27-year-old,” Botterill said of Skinner’s $72 million deal on a conference call Saturday, a day after awarding the hefty contract. “But there’s always going to be risk sometimes in doing ... Read the full article