Dylan Cozens said he tested positive for COVID-19. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Three more Sabres back from COVID-19; Rasmus Ristolainen still out

Sabres rookie Dylan Cozens started doing the math in his head. After testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, he was forced to quarantine for the third time in less than three months.

“I was just adding up the days,” Cozens said on a Zoom call this afternoon from Washington. “Since Nov. 25, I’ve quarantined for 35 days or something, just in a hotel room. So it’s been a lot, for sure.”

Cozens, 20, also ... Read the full article

Will Borgen just played his first two NHL games since 2018-19. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres’ Will Borgen looks impressive in first game action in nearly year

BUFFALO – In his first shifts in nearly a year, Sabres defenseman Will Borgen said he was breathing heavy.

Nothing, of course, can replicate game action, and Borgen, 24, hadn’t experienced any since March 11 as a member of the Rochester Americans.

“Just not used to the speed, controlling my energy,” Borgen said of the early moments of Monday’s 3-1 loss to the New York Islanders at KeyBank Center.

But Borgen, who had spent the ... Read the full article

Casey Mittelstadt has spent most of the season on the taxi squad. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Casey Mittelstadt final Sabres player removed COVID-19 absences list

Forward Casey Mittelstadt late this afternoon was the final Sabres player removed from the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol-related absences list.

The Sabres, who had nine players on the list last week, have no one on it for the first time since Feb. 1.

Four Sabres who landed on the absences list – defensemen Rasmus Dahlin and Jake McCabe and wingers Taylor Hall and Tobias Rieder – played at least one game against the New York Islanders ... Read the full article

Rasmus Asplund has spent most of the season in Rochester. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres send two players to taxi squad, four others to Amerks

The Buffalo Sabres this morning assigned forward Rasmus Asplund and defenseman Will Borgen to the taxi squad and also sent three players from the taxi squad to the AHL.

Defenseman Jacob Bryson and forwards Steven Fogarty, Andrew Oglevie and C.J. Smith moved from the practice group to the Rochester Americans.

Asplund and Borgen both played in Tuesday’s 3-0 loss to the New York Islanders at KeyBank Center.... Read the full article

Taylor Hall has mustered just one goal this season. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres can’t exploit rookie goalie, get blanked by Islanders

BUFFALO – Barely 20 seconds after the Sabres fell behind 2-0 early Tuesday, winger Taylor Hall roared in on goalie Ilya Sorokin with an opportunity to ignite himself and his reeling team.

Hall has struggled to score this season, registering just one goal way back on opening night. The Sabres desperately need the 2017-18 NHL MVP to exploit a rookie in a critical moment like that breakaway.

But Sorokin, who earned his first NHL win ... Read the full article

Brandon Davidson began this season on the taxi squad. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres’ Brandon Davidson grateful for nomadic NHL life: ‘It’s been a wild ride’

BUFFALO – Other than a four-and-a-half year stint in the Edmonton Oilers organization, Sabres defenseman Brandon Davidson has led a nomadic hockey life, enjoying little stability as he zigzagged across North America.

Davidson, 29, began his NHL career with the Oilers, playing 91 games over parts of three seasons. Since leaving Edmonton the first time in 2016-17, he ranks among hockey’s most well-traveled players, never spending more than a full year with one team or ... Read the full article

Rasmus Ristolainen (55) is congratulated after scoring a goal Jan. 31. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Three more Sabres removed from COVID-related absences list

BUFFALO – The NHL late this afternoon removed Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen and forwards Dylan Cozens and Curtis Lazar from the COVID-19 protocol-related absences list.

Forward Casey Mittelstadt is the only Sabres player left on the absences list. They had nine players on it last week.

Sabres defensemen Jake McCabe and Brandon Montour were taken off the absences list earlier today. They could play tonight against the New York Islanders at KeyBank Center.... Read the full article

Jake McCabe missed Monday’s game. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres’ Jake McCabe, Brandon Montour ready to play, but lineup still unclear

Jack McCabe and Brandon Montour have been cleared to play, so the Buffalo Sabres defensemen will be in tonight’s lineup against the New York Islanders, right?

Well, Sabres coach Ralph Krueger wouldn’t reveal if McCabe and Montour, both of whom tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, will play.

“It doesn’t really give us any advantage to reveal our final decisions,” Krueger said on a Zoom call following this morning’s optional skate at KeyBank Center.... Read the full article

Victor Olofsson scored the Sabres’ only goal Monday. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres register zero shots in third period, fall to Islanders in return

BUFFALO – Monday’s loss to the New York Islanders could’ve been penciled in days ago.

Teams coming off a break usually fare poorly against competition that has been playing uninterrupted. The short-handed Sabres were playing their first game in 15 days without six players who are still in the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol.

Adjusting to the NHL’s pace and grind after sitting idle can be difficult. The Sabres had to do it without three of their ... Read the full article

Tobias Rieder took his usual spot on the third line Monday. ©2021, Micheline Veluvolu

Sabres notes: Tobias Rieder returns to lineup, Buffalo adds new players

BUFFALO – When Sabres winger Tobias Rieder learned earlier this month he had tested positive for COVID-19, the news shocked him.

The German felt fine. He figured the result couldn’t be correct.

“But sure enough, a couple hours after I could feel the symptoms,” Rieder said prior to Monday’s 3-1 loss to the New York Islanders at KeyBank Center, the Sabres’ first outing since Jan. 31.

Rieder, 28, said he experienced “a rough couple days.” ... Read the full article