Ville Leino struggled last season. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Leino looking for chance to show his worth to Sabres

BUFFALO – Last season, in the first year of a six-year, $27 million contract, Ville Leino bombed. For a cool $6 million, the Sabres received eight goals and 25 points in 71 games, paying out $240,000 a point.

The Sabres initially tried converting Leino into a center again, an experiment that failed miserably. Leino was back on the wing after just a few weeks, generating little as a third- or fourth-liner.

Before the season ended, ... Read the full article

Tyler Ennis left Sunday’s game early. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres’ Ennis ‘dinged up’ from Simmonds hit, not concussed

BUFFALO – Tyler Ennis, whose face was crunched into the boards by Wayne Simmonds 15:48 into the Sabres’ 3-2 loss Sunday in Philadelphia, missed practice Monday and is day-to-day, interim coach Ron Rolston said.

“He’s a little dinged up,” Rolston said after the Sabres prepared for tonight’s contest against the New York Rangers inside the First Niagara Center.

Ennis, who left the game, didn’t suffer a concussion, Rolston said. The slick center received some stitches ... Read the full article

Patrick Kaleta had been suspended twice prior to Monday. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Despite ‘changed’ style, Sabres’ Kaleta banned 5 games for boarding Richards

BUFFALO – Patrick Kaleta insists he has changed his game over the years, calming his ultra-aggressive style down to become a more complete and responsible player.

Players have noticed, he said. Referees have even lauded the Sabres’ top agitator.

“The referees have came up and said, ‘Hey, we respect what you’ve done so far. As long as you keep showing respect toward us, then we’ll respect you,’” Kaleta told reporters Monday in Raleigh before the ... Read the full article

Patrick Kaleta has a long history of questionable hits. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

NHL bans Sabres’ Kaleta 5 games for Richards hit

BUFFALO – The NHL has suspended agitator Patrick Kaleta five games for knocking Rangers star Brad Richards into the boards from behind while killing a penalty in the Sabres’ 3-2 shootout loss Sunday in New York, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan announced this afternoon.

Kaleta can return to the lineup March 17 in Washington. He will forfeit $76,219.25 in salary

He was assessed a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct at 3:28 of ... Read the full article

Patrick Kaleta has a history of aggressive play. ©2013, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres’ Kaleta could get suspended for Richards hit

Agitator Patrick Kaleta could be facing a suspension after knocking Rangers star Brad Richards into the boards from behind while killing a penalty in the Buffalo Sabres’ 3-2 shootout loss Sunday in New York.

Kaleta was assessed a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct at 3:28 of the third period. Richards grimaced in pain on the ice for a minute or two before skating off.

The Rangers then scored two quick power-play goals to ... Read the full article

Mike Weber was playing regularly before being scratched Wednesday. ©2012, Dan Hickling, Olean Times Herald

Sabres’ deep defense corps gives them options

BUFFALO – The plan’s to get Mike Weber some ice again soon, Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. With seven healthy defensemen, someone had to sit Wednesday, so Weber, a team-worst minus-19, watched the 3-0 win over Montreal after playing 44 straight games.

Ruff could utilize all seven tonight in New York against the Rangers and drop a forward. He could also scratch Weber and skate him Saturday at home versus the Minnesota Wild.

Despite the ... Read the full article