The Buffalo Sabres are bringing back the popular black and red “Goathead” jersey for 12 home games this season, the team announced Wednesday.
Fans, of course, feel nostalgic about that logo and color scheme, which the Sabres wore from 1996 until 2006, when they switched back to a blue and gold motif.
The Sabres reached the Stanley Cup final in 1999 and three Eastern Conference finals while sporting the “Goathead.” The jersey rekindles memories of Daniel Briere, Chris Drury, Dominik Hasek, Michael Peca, Miroslav Satan and the early days of Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek.
The new third jersey will be unveiled in early November. The Sabres on Wednesday revealed the logo and colors.
Sale dates for the jersey will be released at a later date.
The complete third jersey schedule:
– Nov. 23 against the St. Louis Blues
– Dec. 4 against the San Jose Sharks
– Dec. 13 against the Los Angeles Kings
– Dec. 23 against the Tampa Bay Lightning
– Dec. 29 against the Detroit Red Wings
– Jan. 7 against the Minnesota Wild
– Jan. 21 against the Anaheim Ducks
– Feb. 26 against the Washington Capitals
– March 4 against the Philadelphia Flyers
– March 11 against the New York Rangers
– March 24 against the New Jersey Devils
– April 13 against the Ottawa Senators