The Sabres battled COVID-19 earlier this season. ©2021, Buffalo Sabres

Member of Sabres’ hockey staff enters NHL’s COVID-19 protocols

The Buffalo Sabres have canceled this morning’s pregame skate because a member of their hockey staff has entered the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols.

The Sabres, who fired coach Ralph Krueger on Wednesday in the midst of a 12-game losing streak, are scheduled to host the Boston Bruins tonight at KeyBank Center.

More information regarding today’s schedule will be released later.

1:30 p.m. update: The Sabres announced after further testing and contact tracing, as of now, tonight’s game will be played.

COVID-19 ravaged the Sabres last month, forcing a two-week pause. Nine players entered the league’s protocol. Seven players and Krueger said they tested positive.

The Sabres’ season began falling apart when they resumed play Feb. 15.

COVID-19 also forced the Rochester Americans, the Sabres’ AHL affiliate, to pause their activities last week.

Amerks coach Seth Appert, who was supposed to fill in behind the bench tonight in Buffalo, said Tuesday that three players and a member of the support staff tested positive.

Update: The Bruins have postponed their skate because a player has entered the league COVID-19 protocol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.