BUFFALO – Some trade deadline practice notes from KeyBank Center, where the media is gathered in the press room with a television tuned, of course, to TSN:
– Sporting some new lines, the Sabres practiced around 45 minutes today. Naturally, the looming deadline was felt a bit.
“A little of that lingers with an impending 3 o’clock deadline,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said. “But treat the situations and the players like they’re going to be here going forward.”
Bylsma said he addressed the deadline Tuesday but didn’t “belabor” it.
“It’s definitely in the back of your head what’s going on,” Sabres winger Marcus Foligno said.
– Those lines were a little different. Expect to see them or something similar when the Sabres, losers of four straight games, host Arizona on Thursday.
From left to right:
– Foligno, Jack Eichel, Brian Gionta
– Matt Moulson, Ryan O’Reilly, Kyle Okposo
– Evander Kane, Zemgus Girgensons, Sam Reinhart
– Tyler Ennis, Evan Rodrigues, Justin Bailey
Kane, who has a team-leading 22 goals, is essentially back on the third line.
“Just putting a guy in a position where I think he can be at his best and has been at his best for us with him and Zemgus,” Bylsma said.
– Bylsma said the bone bruise that has sidelined rookie winger William Carrier 13 games has worsened. Carrier is staying off the leg and not putting weight on it.