BUFFALO – Slick center Sam Reinhart has no problem saying it. The top Sabres prospect, the No. 2 overall pick last month, wants to crack the NHL immediately next season.
“In my mind, I’m thinking if I come and play the way I’m capable of playing, I feel confident I can earn a spot and make an impact next year,” Reinhart said this afternoon following the opening session of development camp inside the First Niagara ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – Some experts are already predicting the Sabres, a team three months removed from the worst NHL season in recent memory, will be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders in a few years.
Why? Their prospect pool might be the deepest in hockey.
Seven first-round picks are participating in the team’s development camp this week. Seven of the 41 prospects played in the NHL last season, including center Zemgus Girgensons, who spent the entire campaign ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – Barely two weeks after drafting him No. 2 overall, the Sabres have signed slick 18-year-old center Sam Reinhart to a three-year, entry-level contract, the club announced today.
The Sabres expect Reinhart, who’s in town for the team’s upcoming development camp, to compete for an NHL roster spot next season.
“We are very excited to have Sam under contract,” Sabres general manager Tim Murray said in a statement. “We look forward to watching ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – Forty one prospects, including No. 2 pick Sam Reinhart and all of the Sabres’ 2014 draft choices, will be participating in the annual summer development camp from Monday to Friday, the team announced today.
Seven first-round picks are on the roster.
The sessions inside the First Niagara Center are free and open to fans. Here’s a complete schedule from the Sabres:
Monday On-ice coach’s practice: 10:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Tuesday... Read the full article
BUFFALO – For two weeks, Tim Murray bristled when the media asked him about the salary floor. The rebuilding Sabres would reach it, the general manager said. He wasn’t worried. They would lure strong veteran talent when free agency opened.
“But you’re never sure until the clock hits 12,” Murray said Tuesday inside the First Niagara Center.
When the clock hit noon Tuesday and the market opened, the Sabres, a laughingstock last season, quickly became ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – The Sabres have a pretty simple free agency plan. The rebuilding club wants to add some respected veterans, preferably skilled ones who can mentor the team’s youngsters and are willing to take a short term, perhaps just a year or two.
Yes, the Sabres need to add salary badly when the market opens at noon today. After all, they’re a stunning $20,580,834 under the floor. But reaching that mark, a touchy subject for ... Read the full article
BUFFALO – The short Sabres careers of winger Cory Conacher and defenseman Jamie McBain are over.
The rebuilding club passed on giving them qualifying offers as restricted free agents, making them free to sign with any team.
The Sabres also didn’t qualify defensemen Nick Crawford and Matt MacKenzie, who played in Rochester, and goalie Connor Knapp, who played two NHL games last season.
Sabres general manager Tim Murray said Monday morning McBain, who struggled his ... Read the full article
PHILADELPHIA – The rebuilding Buffalo Sabres added nine new prospects, seven of them forwards, including No. 2 pick Sam Reinhart, at the NHL Entry Draft this weekend. Of course, hold any judgments on their performance for three or four years.
On Saturday afternoon, however, in the afterglow of his first draft, general manager Tim Murray called it “outstanding,” saying, “Our guys are happy.”
“We have a potential top-two center that can play for us ... Read the full article
PHILADELPHIA – Sam Reinhart said he had been “prepared for it for a long time.” The slick 18-year-old center knew the Buffalo Sabres, a team desperate for elite forward talent, wanted to draft him with the No. 2 pick.
“I’ve certainly visualized myself in this uniform,” Reinhart said Friday inside the Wells Fargo Center after the Sabres selected him at the NHL Entry Draft. “I’m just thrilled and ecstatic to really make an impact there ... Read the full article
PHILADELPHIA – The Buffalo Sabres’ chances of winning the Connor McDavid sweepstakes could be taking a small hit.
General manager Tim Murray said Friday the NHL will likely alter its draft lottery next year.
What’s going to happen?
Murray said the odds of the league’s worst team getting the No. 1 pick will drop from 25 percent to about 19 or 20 percent. The tradeoff? The 30th team can’t fall past the No. 2 ... Read the full article